Ragi Dosa/Cheela/Pancake is a healthy and delicious breakfast recipe from South India which is made from Ragi (Finger Millet) flour. It is also known by the name of Nachni in Maharashtra, Mandua in Hindi, Ragulu in Telugu and Kezhvargu in Tamil. It is a nutrient dense grain and is referred to as a local superfood since it is a great source of calcium, iron and essential amino acids. This instant Ragi Dosa recipe is quick to make and can be served as a breakfast, lunch or even a dinner meal with homemade chutneys/ salsa/ pickle/ raita/ curd/ vegetable sabzi or curries.
- 40 g Ragi flour or sprouted ragi flour
- 1 tablespoon (10-15g) of Besan flour (gram flour)
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped Onions
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon green chilli chopped
- 3–4 curry leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- ¼ cup buttermilk or 2 teaspoons of curd (yogurt) mixed in some water
- ¼ cup of water or add as required
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp of Oil or Ghee
- Add ragi flour and besan (gram flour) to a mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped onions, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, asafoetida, cumin seeds, and salt as per taste.
- Then add buttermilk or curd and water to the mixing bowl.
- Mix very well to a thin batter of pouring consistency.
- Cover and let this batter rest aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
Cooking Ragi Dosa
- For cooking the Ragi Dosa, heat a non stick tawa/skillet/pan on medium flame. Grease the pan well and wipe off any excess oil with a tissue. Make sure to mix the batter well before pouring.
- When the pan is hot enough, pour the batter thin across the pan as you would do for a Rava dosa/Pancake
- Then, gently spread the batter with the ladle.
- Pour a teaspoon of oil on the top and sides of the dosa and let the base cook and become crisp until the sides begin to get separated from the pan.
- Flip over and cook the other side as well. Cook till both the sides are crisp.
- Serve ragi dosa or pancake hot with any chutney/pickle/curry.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 226.6 Kcal
- Fat: 5.72 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.01 g
- Protein: 5.61 g
Keywords: Diabetic Diet, vegetarian, Healthy, Weightloss