Mango Shrikhand, popularly known as Amrakhand is a delicious mango flavored twist to the traditional plain Shrikhand recipe. Shrikhand is a popular Indian dessert made with Greek Yogurt, also called hung curd. It can be served plain, but when prepared with mango, it is called Amrakhand or Keri Matho. It is usually made using 5 simple ingredients – yogurt, mango puree, saffron, powdered sugar, and ground cardamom.
This mango sweet dish is quite popular in Gujarati and Maharashtrian households and is served as a dessert after everyday meals. It is also prepared for special occasions and festivals like Gudi Padwa, Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, etc. Mango Shrikhand is one of the summer desserts to make when mangoes are in season. The combination of yogurt, sweet mangoes and the aroma of cardamom and saffron makes this an irresistible dessert! The recipe has been made without using sugar to make it a healthy recipe.
- Curd or yogurt – 1 Cup
- Mangoes (medium-sized, peeled and chopped) – 1/3 rd
- Green cardamoms (seeds removed and lightly crushed in mortar-pestle) – 1 to 2
- Saffron strands – 2 to 3
- Honey (Optional) – 1 tsp
- Almonds (Chopped) – 4 to 5
- Raisins (Chopped) – 3 to 4
- First, take 1 cup of home-made curd or yogurt in a muslin or cheese cloth or a cotton kitchen napkin.
- Now tie the cloth tightly and hang the curd for 2 to 3 hours. You can choose to hang the cloth under a faucet in the kitchen wash basin. You can also hang the curd in the fridge. Let, the whey drip, keep a bowl or pan below to collect the whey. You can also choose to keep for more time like 5 to 6 hours.
- After 2 to 3 hours you will get to see a thick curd is left behind.
- Peel and chop 1/3 rd of a medium-sized mango and make puree out of it in a blender.
- In the same blender with the mango puree, also add the thick hung curd.
- Collect it in a bowl. Add 1 to 2 powdered green cardamoms seeds and 2 to 3 saffron strands.
- Blend till the mixture is smooth and even.
- Chill the Mango Shrikhand in the refrigerator and serve in bowls. You can also add some chopped almonds and raisins as a garnish while serving.
Note: If you plan to use greek yogurt move on to step 5.
Tip: If using greek yogurt, add about 1 to 1.25 cups of it to the mango puree and flavorings. Blend till smooth.
Tips: Try to avoid adding sugar, instead you can use 1tsp of honey for this recipe. Tinned mangoes or mango pulp can be used instead of mango fruit.
Tips: Hung curd (yogurt): Use fresh curd, not the one that has gone sour. While hanging the curd, choose a large bowl so that the bottom of the muslin or cloth doesn’t come in contact with the bottom of the bowl. Make sure to refrigerate the hung curd in a lidded bowl if you are not using it right away. Variations: You can make a vegan Shrikhand by substituting your dairy milk with coconut milk yogurt, non-dairy Greek yogurt or any plant-based milk yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 130 - 135 kcal
- Sodium: 33 - 35 mg
- Fat: 1 gm
- Carbohydrates: 15 - 18 gm
- Fiber: 1.5 - 1.8 g
- Protein: 5 - 6 gm