Kala Chana Kebabs can be incredibly tasty source of protein that you can snack in during the evening, or use as a side dish during dinner. Kala chana Kebabs are soft, fluffy, low-oil, high-protein snack that would be your perfect choice if you are looking for a delicious meal that wouldn’t add too many calories to your daily limit.
For the kebab:
- 1 cup kala chana or black chickpea
- 1 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- ½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 4–5 tbsp. fine besan or gram flour
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1–2 tbsp. Kebab masala
For the kebab masala:
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 small black cardamom
- 1 green cardamom pods
- 4–5 cloves
To cook the kala chana:
- Wash and soak kala chana in water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and add the chana to a pressure cooker. Boil it in, and reduce the flame to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour the boiled chana into a bowl and keep ⅔ cup of boiled chana water aside.
- Allow them to cool down. Then pour the boiled chana and chana water into a blender jar. Grind to a smooth paste.
To make the kebab masala:
- Heat a non-stick pan over a low flame.
- Add black peppercorn, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black cardamom, and green cardamom pods.
- Dry roast all the whole spices for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Turn the heat off and transfer them to a plate. After they cool down, grind them to a fine powder.
To make kala chana kebab:
- Heat the same non-stick pan over medium flame.
- Add besan or gram flour.
- Cook it for a few minutes, stirring continuously, until the raw smell goes away. Turn the flame off and keep it aside to cool down.
- In a blender jar, add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Grind to a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, add chana paste, roasted basan, coriander-onion paste, 2 tablespoons kebab masala, and salt. Combine everything well.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan over medium flame.
- Apply a little oil to your palms, take a small portion of the kebab mixture, form a ball and flatten it.
- Carefully put the kebabs in the hot pan.
- Cook until it becomes crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve with coriander chutney.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 153 Kcal
- Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 36.5g
- Protein: 5.4g
Keywords: Kala chana kebab