Chana dal vada is a popular snack in Maharashtra and Gujarat, India. Traditionally, it is made by frying. But if you love it and looking out for an healthier variation , then do try this baked style dal vadas!!
- Soaked Chana dal: 1 cup
- Finely chopped onions: ½ cup
- Finely chopped garlic: 1 tsp
- Ginger-Green chilli paste: 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee- 1tsp
- Keep aside one spoonful of soaked chana dal.
- In a mixer-grinder bowl, add the remaining soaked chana dal and grind into a coarse paste.
- In a bowl take the coarsely grounded chana dal paste, add chopped onions and coriander, salt, turmeric, chopped garlic, ginger- green chilli paste, the kept aside 1 spoon of soaked channa dal and mix well.
- Heat up an appam stand, add in a droplet of ghee into each cavity. Pour in ladle full of mixture into each cavity, cover and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Flip the vadas to other side, cover and cook again for 5 minutes till done.
- Serve it piping hot with coriander mint chutney
- Sufficient soaking of chana dal is needed to that it grinds well without using much water and turns crisp without the need to add the baking soda. Soak for 5-6 hours
- Do not add water while grinding the Chana dal. And if there is a need for water, add in spoon by spoon. Keep the batter as water free as possible.
- If you do not have appam stand, you can bake it in oven at 200C for 10 mins
- Serving Size: Serves 1
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 10.6g