Oats chilla, a savory Indian pancake made from oats and various spices, is a nutritious and delicious breakfast or snack option. This versatile dish combines the goodness of oats with an array of colorful vegetables, making it a wholesome choice for those looking to boost their nutrition intake.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell peppers (red, green, or yellow)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2–3 finely chopped green chilies (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Water as needed
- Cooking oil or ghee for shallow frying
- Begin by dry-roasting the rolled oats in a pan over low heat until they become slightly golden and emit a nutty aroma. Allow them to cool.
- Grind the roasted oats into a fine powder using a blender or food processor.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, chopped onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, grated carrot, green chilies, fresh coriander leaves, cumin seeds, salt, red chili powder, and turmeric powder.
- Gradually add water to the mixture and whisk until you achieve a thick batter-like consistency. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease it with oil or ghee.
- Pour a ladleful of the oats batter onto the hot skillet and spread it into a circular shape to form a chilla. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter, adding more oil or ghee as needed.
- Serve the oats chilla hot with yogurt or a chutney of your choice for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 380 kcal
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: oats chilla